Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Post-New Year's Recap - Part 2

To continue with my New Year's adventure....

Somewhere along the way I lost KT, but I barely noticed because D-Ban's two friends were chatting me up. One was wearing an Adidas hat and we got into a playful argument about the old Willy Wonka movie versus the new. Seeing that neither one of us could convince the other of their point, we both agreed to leave it alone. Another friend of his Pico was cute but I wasn't very impressed by him. But I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt every time he mispronounced my name. It was loud, maybe he couldn't hear properly.

Somehow the subject of me going to bartending school came up, and Adidas and Pico started testing me on my knowledge of drinks. I, of course, having not studied in a while, didn't do too well. But I think I still impressed them because they paid for the next couple rounds.

KT finally appeared around midnight just as the countdown started. She had been talking to the same guy for over an hour, and I guessed by the look on her face that they had already made out. We did the typical countdown, kisses and hugs and numbers were exchanged, and then we said our goodbyes. My ears were ringing too loud to stay much longer. Of course being girls we rehashed the whole way home and even when we got back to my apartment. In addition to the boy talk we both speculated on what this year would be like.

Last year I made completely selfish resolutions: eat, drink, and be merry. Don't go to the gym and eat whatever you want. Well, I did all that and it was a lot of fun - I'm proud that I stuck to it as well as I did. But all in all it was a truly bizarre but great year. I got a new car, got better projects at work, met new people, fell in and out of relationships with friends and significant others, and began living on my own for the first time. And through it all I've learned a lot about myself. For the first time I feel like I'm a real grown up.

Now this year has begun, and who knows what it'll bring. A lot can happen in a year. I could get a raise and be promoted. I could meet Mr. Right. Or I could fall so deep into credit card debt that I have to leave my nice pad on the west side. But with all the stuff that I've gone through in my life, I know I can face whatever this year will throw my way. Bring it on, 2006! I dare you.

No comments: