Monday, November 28, 2005

Stove Top Inventor Has Died

Ruth M. Siems, the inventor of Stove Top Stuffing passed away on November 13th. Inventing the product in 1971, I wonder what her deal was with General Foods. As an employee of the company, does she get independent residuals from the sales of Stove Top? And what about the "four others listed on the patent"? Do we get to know their names soon, or only when they pass away?

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (one of the most brilliant shows of all time) does a riff on the short "The Home Economics Story." When I watched it, I didn't believe that you could really use a degree in Home Ec. I thought the film was just a bunch of fluff to keep women in their place. After all, the only Home Ec. grad I ever met was the Home Ec. teacher at my junior high school. Well, Ms Siems, you have proven me wrong.

No comments: