Monday, November 21, 2005

In Like Flynn

Maybe something significant should be said, seeing as how this is my first post, but I'm not really sure what to say. It's not like this is a huge red-carpet event where tons of people are going to flock just to hear what the schmeck I have to say, but I guess if this becomes something huge for me I'll look at this first post and think "Why didn't I say something significant? Why didn't I write something so much better?" Oh well, can't live in the future.

Thought I'd put up this side-by-side I made of Sean Flynn and James Franco. With all the biography flicks out, I was thinking of who I'd like to see a movie made for. And Sean Flynn stuck out in my mind. Besides being the son of Errol Flynn, the notorious romeo and swashbuckling hero of Hollywood's silver screen, he had his own unique life as a journalist. He was well-respected in the journalism community, risking his own life and safety to cover the Vietnam war. What I found most interesting was the fact that his death is ultimately a mystery.

In 1970 he went to the Cambodia area to cover the spread of the Vietnam combats and basically just disappeared. It's been presumed that they were captured by some of the North Vietnamese people, the Viet Cong, or the Khmer Rouge. Some reports indicated they may have survived as prisoners for as much as another two months, but Flynn has never definitively been heard from again after April 6, 1970. It's most likely that he was executed by his captors.

If they do make a movie about him, they should definitely cast James Franco. The similarities are stunning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So who do we pitch to see the movie made? Sounds like a money-maker to me.