Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Dumpster Drama: Act I

My bedroom window overlooks a beautiful view of the carport and the apartment dumpster. So not only do I get the delectable scent of exhaust fumes and filth, but I get to hear nightly incidents that always seem to take place in the parking area after 2 AM. Each of these exchanges make up what I like to call Dumpster Drama.

Tonight's drama began about 2:30 in the morning. I awoke to hear a guy turn on his cell phone and begin to dial. He waited as the phone rang and then left the following message:
Hey, baby, it's me. I really miss you. It's so hard having you be so far away. But I'm gonna do anything I can to go see you soon. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how much I love you and miss you. I'll call you tomorrow. Um...don't try to call me back tonight because my battery's about to go out. But I'll call you tomorrow. Okay, baby. I love you. Bye.
As he spoke, my heart was melting. I was thinking how it was so romantic that no matter how far he is from her, he still loved her and thought of her.

After he left this most endearing and heartfelt message, the back gate opened. Just as I heard the beep of him hanging up his phone, one of the tawny-haired girls who lives upstairs from me joined him in the carport.

"Thanks for waiting for me," she said.
"No problem," he said.
"The thing is...I don't really feel like going out anymore. I'm so sleepy," she said, her voice getting higher.
"You are?" he asked.
"Yeah," she said. "I was thinking...maybe we could just stay in?"
"Hmm," he said.
"I mean, you could stay here, but I just want to go to sleep." She giggled. Then she added, "But I'd be so lonely in my bed alone..."
"Well, do you want company?" he asked before her sentence was finished.
"Okay!" she said, giggling again.

Before I could look out the window to see what a complete asshole looks like, they had already gone through the back gate, through the patio area, and to her apartment upstairs, their footsteps clomping quickly above me in anticipation...

And...CURTAIN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MORE MORE MORE! This is what I've been missing since they cancelled Melrose Place! Thanks!